Swords&Dorkery
The Nine and Thirty Kingdoms (questions not tagged, so browse the blog's archive a little. It's worth it.)
Dungeons Deep & Caverns Old
Alex Schroeder
What is a Troll, and why do they ask so many questions about RPGs?
- Race (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling) as a class? Yes or no? No.
- Do demi-humans have souls? Role-playing game characters are mini-memes infesting the brains of the players. Neither human, nor demi-human player characters have souls. One can argue, however, that they do form the soul of the player; but then, the mere mentioning of players having something remotely resembling souls is - ridiculous, to say the least.
- Ascending or descending armor class? I go with the ascending AC of Basic Fantasy; but would choose descending with Swords&Wizardry.
- Demi-human level limits? Nope. Or maybe. But give the 1st-level elves, and dwarves aged 50 to 167-something a decent set of Secondary Skills at a reasonably high skill level.
- Should thief be a class? It already is.
- Do characters get non-weapon skills? Secondary Skills, yes.
- Are magic-users more powerful than fighters (and, if yes, what level do they take the lead)? I couldn't care less. If they are, fine. In a fantasy game, why shouldn't they? Fighters do the rough work for magic-users who secretly rule the game world, and get to make out with the Lady-Demons of the Abyss.
- Do you use alignment languages? No, although I like the idea of a Fantasy setting where alignment languages work. Also, there is no alignment in Basic Fantasy.
- XP for gold, or XP for objectives (thieves disarming traps, etc...)? XP for gold, and some objectives.
- Which is the best edition; ODD, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer, Rules Cyclopedia, 1E ADD, 2E ADD, 3E DD, 4E DD, Next ? I really like 2e ADD with just the core rules and a bunch of house-rules. I owned the Mentzer B/E/C/M rules, and loved the boxes. Never played it, though. I liked the Companion Rules best. Because of the color, and the illustrations. And I like the word 'companion'. That's why I love my Risus Companion Rules, too. And my Mora Companion knife. Companion is a friendly word. I think I'd like to write and publish some kind of Companion-Something one day. Lore is another fine word. The Mad-Kyndalanth Companion of Lore would make a nice title.
- Bonus Question: Unified XP level tables or individual XP level tables for each class? I tend to say unified XP level tables, and single saving throws, because it's simpler; but I think that it feels right that some classes have to gain more XP to advance a level and gain in fame and power.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen