Samstag, 30. August 2014

A Thought on Not Buying 5e

From what I gather off of blogs most folks seem to be happy about the advent of 5e. The free Basic D&D probably helped, too. But I didn't buy it. And I have the intuition that I'm not going to, either.

Of all the rpg products that I bought over the last years I only use a few: namely dice, Basic Fantasy, and Risus. Whenever I pick anything else out of the box (I store rpg stuff in a box), and read it I get bored very quickly. Sure, I like Shadowrun 20th Anniversary edition, and the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition seemed a good thing, too. But I won't play them, or run them. Same with Rolemaster, MERP, and some other stuff.

So, I read Basic D&D, and read what others wrote about 5e gaming experience, their thoughts on character creation, strengths of the system, and so on.

I get overwhelmed by boredom. I'll have to read something else.


Time to move on.

3 Kommentare:

  1. In avoiding D&D 5E you miss out BIG TIME! BIG BIG TIME!

    Seriously, I had no high hopes for 5E at all, but 5E turned out to be the real thing. It is just THAT good.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I'm not avoiding it, just not buying it. I would join a group as a player, but as far as rpg-rules-books-as-literature goes (which most of rpg books seems to be) I'm tired of reading it.

    That may change in a while, or not. Cannot foresee that.

    Anyway, thanks for your comment! I've noticed that you like 5e from comments elsewhere, and on your blog. So, I'll keep your enthusiasm in mind when I pick up a copy of the 5e players handbook in a local store. Maybe it'll help sell the book to me ;)

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Same here. Its not that 5e is a bad game, it just doesn't do anything I couldn't do with a different game.

    So...not buying (for now).

    AntwortenLöschen

Speedreading: Testing Elixir - Effective, and robust testing for Elixir, and its ecosystem (Andrea Leopardi, and Jeffrey Matthias, series editor: Bruce A. Tate, development editor: Jacquelyn Carter)

Testing Elixir Die späte Schnelleselektüre dauerte fünfundreißig Minuten und zwanzig Sekunden, und ich hatte sie zuvor auf fünfunddreißig Mi...